Project management tips from the pros
With the wrong manager in place, a project can quickly go off the rails, creating chaos and missed deadlines. A good project manager needs to have certain qualities and a great tool box to keep the project on track. Here are some great blogs we found that will help ensure your next project comes in on time and on budget.
In this blog by Ivan Dimitrijevic, there’s some great tips, including:
- Define the project – we couldn’t agree more. Check out our recent post on scope statements.
- Under promise and over deliver – a good rule is to estimate 10% more for time and budget.
- Team roles, responsibilities, and communication – poor team collaboration is identified as one of the ways in which teams fail. So get the method of collaboration and communication sorted out asap.
Read more at Urbanosaurus
Simon Andras via Lifehack.org shares his tips he’s learned over the years about project management, including:
- Set realistic expectations – Andras refers to a classic line from a PM he know, and I truly appreciate it: “You can have two of the three: good, fast, cheap. You CANNOT have all three.”
- Establish measurable and reportable criteria for success –include milestones and incorporate client feedback along the way, leaving it until the end may cause re-work if the client isn’t happy.
- Select team members, and assign responsibilities carefully – ensure skills match roles, and that everyone is clear on what is expected of them.
- Embrace your role as leader – act as the leader and make sure team members don’t push you around. Your job is to get the “best work out of your team members, so you are coach, mentor, and motivator.”
Read more at Lifehack.org
Use these tips and take action for your project management success.
What tips do you wish you knew when you first started as a Project Manager? Thanks for reading don’t forget to share/tweet/like our blog just underneath this paragraph. And don’t forget, we’re always here to help with your business efficiency needs.