A hommage to Oprah
This month at CornerStone Dynamics we’re all sharing our favourite top 10 list with you, our readers. So sit back and check out what each of us choose to write about. Enjoy!
Well, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that I’m writing about my top 10 favourite productivity things. I’m paying hommage to Oprah and her favourite things list. So check out my list below. These productivity things will make life simpler and easier.
- Colour paper, colour tape, colour folders: I love colour. This is not because it’s pretty. But because it allows me to categorize and distinguish things immediately. Example: we wrap colourful electrical tape around our plugs. This way when I unplug a device I immediately know which one I am unplugging.
- Double computer monitors: When I’m working I have two computer monitors. This is a life saver when I have to work off of two documents. I move one over to the 2nd screen and work off the 1st screen. Its saves me from having to flip files on one screen or printing out copies simply for review. Yay for saving trees.
- Checklists: Checklists ROCK! If you have a reoccurring task and you don’t want to think about it, create a checklist to guide your activities. I love the one I created for my kids when they were younger for getting up in the morning and getting out the door for school. It creates a sense of responsibility for them and a stress free morning for me. We have them for free at our store.
- Power cords x2: I hate it when you forget your power cord when you go somewhere and then you need it because your computer is low on ‘juice’. Take the plunge and purchase a second power cord and leave it in your briefcase. This way you always have it and never have to worry about losing power…ever!
- Power hour door hanger: I love this little tool that we created at CSD. There are many times when I have to hunker down and get work done without interruption. When I use the power hour door hanger my team knows not to disturb me. I get so much accomplished during this time.
- Labeller: I love label makers. We label everything at CornerStone Dynamics. This is important because then everyone knows where things are. It only takes us a few moments to find stuff without anyone’s assistance.
- Furniture on wheels: At our office, the majority of our furniture is on wheels. This allows us to configure rooms for our use and at the moment needs. So if we need floor space for whatever reason, we roll out the tables and have more room. If I need files from a portable filing cabinet, I wheel that into my office.
- Vision statements: In our office we have our CornerStone Dynamics vision statement in every room in the office. We live by this statement. We make decisions based on the statement. Having it in every room is a reminder of its importance and why we do what we do. It keeps us focused and productive in reaching the visions goals.
- CSD process book: I LOVE THIS BOOK! This is where we house all the process steps for daily activities in our office. When the team has to switch responsibilities or someone new come’s on board…no biggie. They immediately know how to do things. It allows us to be flexible and nimble as an organization.
- Daily gratitude whiteboard: On the back of our front door of our office, we have a whiteboard for daily gratitude’s. When the moment strikes, usually at the end of the day, we write down what we are grateful for. This puts me in an appreciative and positive mindset. I am more productive as a result. I see that everything I am doing has purpose. It feels good to acknowledge it.
There are so many things that can make someone become more efficient and effective at home and/or the office. I hope you take away one or two of my favourite things. The little things in life truly can make a difference!
What are your favourite productivity things? Please share with us; we are always looking for new ideas. Feel free to leave a comment below or shout out to us on Facebook or Twitter. Of course, you could always write your own blog post on the subject and share it with us… We’d love to read it!